Monday 28 December 2015

X-Wing battle report - by Gargamel

Last night I had a few games of X-Wing with Will from Will's Ramblings. They were basically my first 3 proper games, not counting a few basic intro rounds a while back. I lost 2 and won 1, so a handful of rebel pilots can hold their heads high while the majority of their colleagues float in bite sized chunks above an unnamed ice planet.

Lessons learned so far:
1. Don't bump into stuff all the time
2. Ten Numb in a B-Wing with autolasers is a TIE-killing machine
3. I should try to resist sinking too many points into elite pilots who can't dish out enough damage
4. Ion cannons are a massive annoyance
5. Let your opponent drink more beers than you do


Game 1

I had an A-Wing, a B-Wing, two X-Wings and the Millenium Falcon, all with the cheapest possible pilots, and Will had 4 TIEs, a TIE Interceptor and Darth Vader himself in a TIE Advance.




 My pilots spent a lot of time crashing into things and forfeiting their actions. I needed to pay more attention to the order the pilots move in. My forces quickly got picked off, leaving a hardy but largely toothless Millennium Falcon to be ganged up on and destroyed. Lessons learned (kind of). Next.
 Game 2

This time I had a tricked out squad of named characters in an A-Wing, a B-Wing and an X-Wing while Will had 3 TIEs, a TIE Interceptor and an Imperial Shuttle.

My B-Wing took care of a few TIEs early on which made me think I was doing pretty well. Wrong. The Ion cannon on the shuttle, plus the Rebel Hostage aboard it limited my maneuverability severely, so I was wiped out again pretty easily.

[Intermission for beer and pizza]

Game 3

I modified my previous list, keeping my tricked out B-Wing, but downgrading my A-Wing and taking two vanilla X-Wings in an effort to get more guns on the table.

The beers and fatigue were taking their toll on poor Will, who began making some tactical errors - not as many as me, but enough that I managed to squeeze in a win. Of course, due to the previous bitter defeats, I hadn't bothered to take any photos of this game, so I have no proof, but I totally did win. I promise! 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting :-) I would like to remind you that you brutally killed that poor innocent rebel captive in that last game. I hope you're happy :-)

    Nice report though. Short & sweet. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Less is more. Concentrate your fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rebel captive was a jerk. I think he was actually a sleeper agent being brought in from the cold. Executed for treason now.

    ReplyDelete